Although the PM had announced the formation of Corona tiger force for the distribution of relief package to the poor community of the country who had been suffering directly from the Covid-19, the opposition parties after consulting mutually presented a charter of demands so as to cope with the challenges that the country has been facing due to the fatal outbreak.
The leader of opposition in National Assembly and the president of Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PML-N) Shehbaz Sharif who has returned from London to help the Government in the time of joint crisis (Corona), issued a joint declaration that straight away rejected the establishment of “Tiger Force” by the Prime Minister Imran Khan. Calling it a political stunt, the joint opposition urged the Government to adopt democratic and parliamentary ways to resolve the issues and demanded immediate formation of a parliamentary monitoring committee so that the relief funds might not be used for political purposes.
“There is no need of a new force in the presence of Police and Rangers”, the opposition objects
The leaders of opposition parties including Bilawal Bhutto Zardari (PPP), Maulana Fazal-ur-Rehman (JUI-F), Siraj-ul-Haq (JI), Mehmood Khan Achakzai (PMA), Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao (QWP) and Mir Hasil Khan Bazinjo (NP) collectively prepared the charter of demands with mutual consent.
Explaining the charter of demands, the opposition parties cleared that their demand of a parliamentary committee is to ensure the just and fair distribution of Corona Virus Relief Fund. Moreover transparency in procurement and distribution of relief goods was also the need of the day. In addition to all this, they also wanted the Government to share the criteria (for disbursing the ration among the people) with the opposition so that the fund might not be misused for political point scoring.
Included in the charter was the demand for calling an immediate meeting of the Corona Virus Parliamentary Senate Committee and Standing Committee on Health so as to present the updated on-ground situation of the fatal outbreak.
“Government can use the Tiger Force for political gains”, blames the joint opposition
Pointing out the reluctance of people for Corona Virus testing, the opposition leaders demanded the Government to conduct the tests free of cost at all hospitals so as to widen the scope of the testing. The revival and resumption of PMDC on immediate basis was also included in the charter.
Praising the efforts of doctors, nurses and paramedical staff, the opposition re-put their call to provide the protective equipment to them so as to ensure the safety and security of their lives.
Emphasizing the importance of creating awareness about the do’s-and-don’ts of the Covid-19, the opposition demanded to launch campaigns on regional and national level accompanied by the formation of a “Disease Surveillance System” so as to provide the nation with genuine and truthful facts and figures.
Rejecting the formation of the so-called “Tiger Force”, the opposition claimed that no such force was required in the presence of already established, enrolled and active force in the form of Police and Rangers. They claimed that the formation of a new force would be nothing more than wasting the nation’s money and therefore the local governments should be used for this purpose.
The main points of the “Opposition’s Charter of Demands” are as follows:
- A parliamentary monitoring committee should be formed immediately to monitor the distribution of relief package.
- The meeting of Corona Virus Parliamentary Senate Committee and Standing Committee on Health should be called on immediate basis so as to provide the updated details and figures
- The opposition parties should be taken into confidence about the criteria for selecting the nominees of the relief package.
- The Corona test should be conducted without charging any fee at all hospitals so that a large segment of the population may avail the facility.
- PMDC should be revived and make functional with immediate effect
- The doctors, nurses and the other paramedics should be provided with protective kits and equipment to save their lives
- Awareness campaigns should be launched on regional and national level to provide the nation with true facts and figures
- Formation of “Tiger Force” is simply the wastage of nation’s contribution and resources. This is nothing else than political point scoring. Government should use the pre-existing Police and Rangers for this purpose.